Buying Manager - Produce
1200 N Kirk Rd, Batavia, IL, USA, 60510
We're ALDI, one of America's favorite grocers. We've grown a lot in the past few years, expanding our reach and customer base all around the country. Whether it's in customer service or our exceptional products, we owe our success to the efficiencies we create in every corner of our company and the people at each level who make that happen.
Corporate Buying is the team dedicated to acquiring the goods that our ALDI customers count on. Beyond working to secure quality products at the lowest possible prices through our Buying and support teams (Administration, Pricing / E-commerce, Merchandising, Market Research and Analytics), our teams ensure we are providing the best value and quality in everything we do.
Position Type: Full-Time
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Assists their leader with decisions regarding the design and packaging of product and cases in accordance with the agreed benchmarks and policies.
• Aids the leadership with the assortment and variety of special buy items.
• Endorses the text/copy for advertised products and recommends the text for price cards.
• Coordinates the handling of customer complaints sent to the department.
• Assures the training, development, and performance of their team’s staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce that achieves their career objectives.
• Recruits and recommends qualified employees for their team’s staff positions.
• Approves all time-off requests for direct reports.
• Establishes and communicates job responsibilities and performance expectations to their team to assure mutual understanding of desired results; resolves internal or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
• Understands the overarching company strategy, as well as communicates and models the core values, of the organization to create a sense of teamwork and membership among employees.
• Consults their leader in personnel matters concerning direct reports.
• Presents to their leader proposals on buying costs on all items, the listing and delisting of suppliers, and contract quantities and duration.
• Liaises with international buying operations as appropriate in order to make comparisons on costs and product options.
• Recommends price changes, delisting of products, and ranges/trials which optimize sales growth and profitability to their leader.
• Proposes Emergency Product Withdrawals to leadership.
• Consults with leadership on the development of their team's strategy.
• Advises leadership to source external vendors for applicable services when appropriate.
• Liaises with regions to ensure timely and efficient communication flow.
• Consults with the business to effectively design and streamline applicable processes within the organization.
• Keeps up-to-date on external best practices and relevant changes to their field/area; communicates updates to leadership.
• Carries out market place, competitor, and price research.
• Prepares their leader for negotiation with suppliers to achieve the best price for the agreed quality.
• Ensures adherence to all legal requirements in his/her area of responsibility.
• Arranges and participates in sampling sessions.
• Ensures that records via central buying information systems (CBIS) are up to date and accurate at all times.
• Carries out year-end tasks.
• Prepares their leader for and participates in National and Specialist Committees as required to establish best practice and business consistency.
• Manages their team by driving projects and tasks to completion through effective prioritization, work planning, resource allocation, and cross-functional collaboration.
• Identifies cost-saving opportunities and potential process improvements.
• Serves as the primary link between their team’s staff and leadership to assure understanding of company goals, objectives, and opportunities for improvement.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Business or a related field.
• A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in produce category management or supply chain management, and retail operations.
• A combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
• Ability to develop rapport, trust, and open communication that enhances the growth and performance of direct reports.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Prepares written material to meet audience and purpose.
• Thinks critically and analytically.
• Ability to recommend, interpret, and apply company policies and procedures.
• Works cooperatively and collaboratively within a group.
• Ability to stay organized and multi-task in a professional and efficient manner.
• Ability to evaluate work performance and motivate behavior change among direct reports when necessary.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, consistently meeting deadlines and remaining calm under pressure.
• Minimal travel as needed to suppliers and trade fairs.
• Entitled to claim travel expenses for due performance of job duties and to pay for business partner’s expenses.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Employee Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.