Buying Strategic Sourcing Manager - Retail
1200 N Kirk Rd, Batavia, IL, USA, 60510
National Buying Services is the department dedicated to acquiring the goods that our ALDI customers count on. Beyond working to secure quality products at the lowest possible prices through our Buying and support teams (Administration, Pricing, Merchandising, Quality Assurance and more), our teams ensure we are providing the best value and quality in everything we do.
Position Type: Full-Time
Work Location: Batavia, IL
This role is eligible to participate in ALDI’s Hybrid Work Program, which allows remote work up to 3 days per week (i.e., work remotely up to 3 days per week; work in-office at least 2 days per week)
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Leads and manages multiple category projects that deliver value through product and category optimization.
• Develops frameworks, tools and methodologies to support the delivery of opportunities and the upskilling of the National Buying Department.
• Ensures the training, development, and performance of their team’s staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce that achieves their career objectives.
• Recruits and recommends qualified employees for their team’s staff positions.
• Understands the overarching company strategy, while communicating and modeling the core values of the organization to create a sense of teamwork and membership among employees.
• Collaborates with various stakeholders to understand and resolve complex category challenges.
• Collaborates with internal Buying teams and suppliers to identify and execute supply chain opportunities across the value chain.
• Ensures all organizational stakeholders are duly involved in the setting of objectives and targets for their projects.
• Consults with the National Buying Department to understand existing practices and support the championing of best practice in local and global tools and methodologies.
• Coordinates general department upskilling to provide greater awareness of the benefits of value chain analysis.
• Assists the Director Value Chain Optimization with the analysis, proposals, and coordination of projects linked to Value Chain Optimization across the National Buying Department.
• Presents recommendations and measured outcomes to senior management.
• Liaises with International Departments as appropriate, in order to draw comparisons on costs and product options.
• Advises leadership to source external vendors for applicable services when appropriate.
• Keeps up-to-date on external best practices and relevant changes to their field/area; communicates updates to leadership.
• Leads project sprints from business case development to value realization in a timely and structured manner.
• Ensures all timelines and expectations related to assigned projects are met.
• Carries out marketplace, competitor and price research.
• Carries out visits to suppliers and trade fairs, as authorized by the Director Value Chain Optimization.
• Utilizes various data sources to provide analysis and insights.
• Participates in and prepares the Director Value Chain Optimization for participation in National and Specialist Committees as required to establish best practice and business consistency.
• Shows ownership in the development and facilitation of Value Chain Optimization workshops as required.
• Implements change management initiatives to support strategic optimization outcomes.
• Manages external consultants to ensure they are effectively utilized.
• Utilizes commercial levers to identify and unlock opportunities across the end-to-end supply chain.
• Develops strategic partnerships with suppliers through the facilitation of workshops and joint planning to create shared value.
• Manages their team by driving projects and tasks to completion through effective prioritization, work planning, resource allocation, and cross-functional collaboration.
• Identifies cost-saving opportunities and potential process improvements.
• Serves as the primary link between their team’s staff and leadership to assure understanding of company goals, objectives, and opportunities for improvement.
• Other duties as assigned.
ALDI Acts Competencies:
Perform within ALDI Acts competencies as outlined below.
• Managing Self: Seeking feedback, reflecting upon personal behaviors and looking for growth opportunities. Displaying composure, resilience and a positive approach to work.
• Communicating with Impact: Communicating clearly and effectively in written, non-verbal and verbal communication to inform, inspire, motivate and influence. Appreciating the importance of listening, empathy and respect.
• Cooperating with Others: Creating and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Actively consulting, managing conflict and appreciating alternative perspectives and cultures.
• Leading People: Fostering a cooperative leadership style that empowers and motivates. Providing clear expectations and direction. Developing people in their roles and supporting future growth.
• Driving Decisions and Results: Showing ownership by making informed decisions, executing efficiently and taking responsibility for results. Pursuing goals and taking initiative. Using market awareness to better meet the customers' needs (internal and external).
• Managing Change: Demonstrating flexibility and embracing changes to adapt to shifting business needs and emerging technologies. Identifying opportunities for business improvements. Effectively implementing changes in alignment with business goals.
• Ability to recommend, interpret, and/or apply company policies and procedures.
• Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
• Ability to develop rapport, trust, and open communication that enhances the growth and job performance of direct reports.
• Understands the history, strategy, organizational authority, interdependence of job duties, products, systems, and services of the company.
• Conflict management skills.
• Understanding of grocery value chain and operations.
• Demonstrated success leading complex cross-functional projects and change management.
• Understands cost/benefit analysis.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships with internal and external parties.
• Ability to effectively communicate with individuals at varying levels.
• Negotiations skills.
• Thinks critically and analytically.
• Problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Business Administrant, Business Management, Economics, Supply Chain Management or a related field required.
• A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in Buying, Procurement, Category Management, Strategic Sourcing, Supply Chain Management, Business Process Improvement, Program Management within Buying Organizations, Management Consulting and retail operations required.
• Or, a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
• Experience in strategic sourcing, value chain mapping and/or should-cost modeling required.
• Understanding of Tableau, Power BI, SQL, Alteryx or other related data analysis and visualization tools required.
• Work is performed in an office environment where a computer, telephone and other office equipment are used as needed to perform duties.
• Regularly required to sit, reach, grasp, stand and move from one area to another.
• Constantly and repeatedly use keyboard/mouse.
• Occasionally required to push, pull, bend, lift and move up to 25 lbs.
• International & Domestic travel required.
• Up to 25%.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Employee Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Up to 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave at 100% of pay
- Up to 2 Weeks Paid Caregiver Leave at 100% of pay
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Keep up on all the latest opportunities at ALDI.Sign Up