National Buying Services is the department dedicated to acquiring the goods that our ALDI customers count on. Beyond working to secure quality products at the lowest possible prices through our Buying and support teams (Administration, Merchandising, Pricing, Quality Assurance, Analytics and more), our teams ensure we are providing the best value and quality in everything we do.
In this role the Brand and Design Manager will be responsible for driving our private label brand strategy and work directly design agencies, marketing, merchandising, and buying teams for a 360 effort to bring concept alive to our customers. The ideal candidate will have had prior experience working with packaging, design agencies, or the CPG sector in packaging and design, have an educational background in product management, marketing, or general business. The objective of this role is to grow brand equity by collaborating with all stakeholders and be a center of excellence for showcasing product quality.
Position Type: Full-Time
Work Location: Batavia, IL
This role is eligible to participate in ALDI’s Hybrid Work Program, which allows remote work up to 2 days per week (i.e., work remotely up to 2 days per week; work in-office at least 3 days per week).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Assists leadership with recommended brand strategies for all Private Label items.
• Contributes to the establishment of all brand guidelines to support the overarching brand and design strategy.
• Makes recommendations and negotiates costs with outside design agencies to achieve the best price for the agreed quality of work.
• Acts as a brand steward and takes ownership of the visual identity for specific brands in the total portfolio.
• Provides final approval for all relevant packaging and case executions for specific brands.
• Ensures the training, development, and performance of their team’s staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce that achieves their career objectives.
• Recruits and recommends qualified employees for their team’s staff positions.
• Approves all time-off requests for direct reports.
• Establishes and communicates job responsibilities and performance expectations to their team to ensure a mutual understanding of desired results; evaluates performance and achievement of expectations and desired results; resolves internal or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
• Understands the overarching company strategy, while communicating and modeling the core values of the organization to create a sense of teamwork and membership among employees.
• Monitors design trends and competitive products in the market continuously.
• Consults with the business to initiate priority brand redesigns and implementation.
• Supports National Buying teams with product design guidance as needed.
• Liaises with international counterparts to coordinate processes and best practices for all brand and design topics.
• Recommends improved ways of working to create efficiencies and reduce design and artwork costs.
• Consults with leadership on the development of their team's strategy.
• Advises leadership to source external vendors for applicable services when appropriate.
• Liaises with divisions to ensure timely and efficient communication flow.
• Consults with the business to effectively design and streamline applicable processes within the organization.
• Keeps up-to-date on external best practices and relevant changes to their field/area; communicates updates to leadership.
• Manages brand guidelines to ensure all information is up-to-date and communicated to the department.
• Collaborates with all other National Service departments to align brand and marketing strategies.
• Manages outside design agency relationships and working processes.
• Maintains all brand and design process documents, guidelines, and training tools.
• Tracks customer perception and financial performance of branding and design efforts after implementation.
• Conducts market, competitor, and industry research.
• Visits suppliers, agency partners, and trade fairs when necessary.
• Manages their team by driving projects and tasks to completion through effective prioritization, work planning, resource allocation, and cross-functional collaboration.
• Identifies cost-saving opportunities and potential process improvements.
• Serves as the primary link between their team’s staff and leadership to assure understanding of company goals, objectives, and opportunities for improvement.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Consistently demonstrates the ALDI Acts Competencies as outlined for the role.
• Ability to recommend, interpret, and/or apply company policies and procedures.
• Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
• Ability to develop rapport, trust, and open communication that enhances the growth and job performance of direct reports.
• Understands the history, strategy, organizational authority, interdependence of job duties, products, systems, and services of the company.
• Conflict management skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to influence the organization with fact-based evidence.
• Ability to analyze and present consumer data to drive business decisions.
• Knowledge of the food industry.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to stay organized and multi-task in a professional and efficient manner.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, consistently meeting deadlines and remaining calm under pressure.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Design, Business Administration or a related field required.
• A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in Brand Management, Design and retail operations required.
• Or, a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
• Work may be performed in an office, remote office or a combination of both where a computer and office equipment may be used as needed to perform duties.
• Regularly required to sit, reach, grasp, stand and move from one area to another.
• Constantly and repeatedly use keyboard/mouse.
• Occasionally required to push, pull, bend, lift and move up to 25 lbs.
• Domestic travel required.
• Up to 10%.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
Click here to learn more about the benefits ALDI has to offer
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Up to 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave at 100% of pay
- Up to 2 Weeks Paid Caregiver Leave at 100% of pay
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.