Director of Real Estate
Dublin, OH, USA, 43017
Ready to lead an award-winning team? As an ALDI executive, you are responsible for driving and implementing the key initiatives that keep our customers happy and ensure our business model evolves with the needs of the company. Immerse yourself in a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement with our growing and thriving organization. Director of Real Estate is responsible for securing and developing real estate for ALDI to support the company’s growth plans from our National Real Estate office in Dublin, OH. The candidate will be required to work out of the Dublin, OH and geographical assignments will be determined on an annual basis.
Position Type: Full-Time
Work Location: Dublin, OH
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Determines and facilitates the closing of purchase or lease agreements.
• Oversees the timely submission of plans to obtain all required approvals and permits.
• Obtains, evaluates, and awards construction bids to ensure facilities are constructed and remodeled in accordance with the project budget.
• Oversees the construction process from ground breaking through issuance of final certificate of occupancy.
• Reviews and approves all construction payments, change orders, and lien waivers to ensure accurate billing.
• Recruits, relocates, and recommends qualified employees for their team; determines the appropriate training methods/courses for new hires.
• Determines the salary levels for newly-hired or transferred employees reporting to them according to the established company wage structure.
• Understands the overarching company strategy, while communicating and modeling the core values of the organization, to create a sense of teamwork and membership among employees.
• Establishes and communicates job responsibilities and performance expectations to their team to assure mutual understanding of desired results; resolves internal or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
• Approves all time-off requests for direct reports.
• Represents the company regarding real estate matters as required at meetings of city councils, zoning commissions, or other outside organizations.
• Works with the National Real Estate Office to develop floorplans and exterior elevation concepts.
• Works with outside legal counsel to prepare purchase contracts, leases and to resolve litigation involving owned or leases facilities.
• Consults with outside parties to assess environmental and geotechnical issues and concerns.
• Works with governmental agencies, engineers, and architects to develop plans that meet company design criteria.
• Negotiates lease agreements for purchases, sales of closed or excess properties (including employee-owned homes), renewals, and cancellations.
• Completes site evaluation forms for review and approval by the Vice President Real Estate and the Office of the President.
• Works with the Vice President Real Estate to establish a capital expenditure budget for acquisition of land and equipment, construction of stores, and remodels of existing facilities.
• Works with the Vice President Real Estate to establish a schedule for future store growth and remodel completion utilizing capital expenditure limitations, store locations, and timeframes.
• Supports store operations in major repairs, upgrades, and maintenance issues at facilities.
• Prepares and provides input to the National Real Estate Committee and participates as requested in Committee initiatives.
• Supervises the Real Estate Assistant, Construction Managers, Site Selection Managers, and Project Managers.
• Assists National Services approved 3rd party tax service in approving or challenging taxes assessed by municipalities.
• Consults with executives on the development of their team's strategy.
• Makes recommendations to executives on how to improve, design, and streamline applicable policies, procedures, and practices.
• Manages external consultants accordingly.
• Liaises with directors in other ALDI countries to facilitate the sharing of best practices.
• Investigates site opportunities in identified markets and uses sales forecasting system (SiteIntel) to identify most profitable locations.
• Prepares the monthly cash flow forecast and oversees the preparation of required reports for use by National Finance & Administration Services.
• Verifies with 3rd party tax service that all real estate taxes are paid on all company owned facilities.
• Assures closing paperwork and legal documents are executed properly and forwarded to National Finance & Administration Services (NFA).
• Obtains equipment, fixtures, and refrigeration for the division, as required.
• Communicates with District Managers as appropriate and provides training on facility and equipment warranties and building maintenance.
• Oversees the preparation of required ad hoc reports at the request of the Vice President Real Estate.
• Directs their team by ensuring that all projects and tasks meet business needs as well as expectations for quality and service.
• Establishes team objectives that align with the overall company strategy.
• Participates in National and Specialist Committees as required to establish best practice and business consistency.
• Identifies and develops company-wide and individual initiatives for their team.
• Other duties as assigned.
ALDI Acts Competencies:
Perform within ALDI Acts competencies as outlined below.
• Managing Self: Seeking feedback, reflecting upon personal behaviors and looking for growth opportunities. Displaying composure, resilience and a positive approach to work.
• Communicating with Impact: Communicating clearly and effectively in written, non-verbal and verbal communication to inform, inspire, motivate and influence. Appreciating the importance of listening, empathy and respect.
• Cooperating with Others: Creating and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Actively consulting, managing conflict and appreciating alternative perspectives and cultures.
• Leading People: Fostering a cooperative leadership style that empowers and motivates. Providing clear expectations and direction. Developing people in their roles and supporting future growth.
• Driving Decisions and Results: Showing ownership by making informed decisions, executing efficiently and taking responsibility for results. Pursuing goals and taking initiative. Using market awareness to better meet the customers’ needs (internal and external).
• Managing Change: Demonstrating flexibility and embracing changes to adapt to shifting business needs and emerging technologies. Identifying opportunities for business improvements. Effectively implementing changes in alignment with business goals.
• Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
• Understands the history, strategy, organizational authority, interdependence of job duties, products, systems and services of the company.
• Ability to develop rapport, trust and open communication that enhances the growth and job performance of direct reports.
• Understands cost/benefit analysis.
• Ability to recommend, interpret, and/or apply company policies and procedures.
• Ability to organize and conduct group meetings including the ability to facilitate group involvement.
• Negotiation skills.
• Conflict management skills.
• Ability to evaluate the organization’s financial performance and apply such data to decision making.
• Ability to stay organized and multi-task in a professional and efficient manner.
• Knowledge of design, construction, renovation, and rebuilding techniques.
• Ability to build, employ labor and construct facilities to the desired goal within budget.
• Skill of organizing and directing the work effort of outside resources, and accomplishing a goal on time and within budget.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree required.
• A minimum of 7 years of progressive external experience in Real Estate and retail operations required or at least 4 years of relevant experience at ALDI.
• DMD, PM, Expat or Special Assignment experience is preferred for District Manager candidates.
• Completion of the ALDI LEAD program (for internal candidates) or equivalent combination of external leadership experience and training required.
• Bachelor's Degree in Real Estate or a related field preferred.
• Work is performed in an office environment where a computer, telephone and other office equipment are used as needed to perform duties.
• Occasionally required to walk through construction zones with heavy equipment.
• Regularly required to sit, reach, grasp, stand and move from one area to another.
• Constantly and repeatedly use keyboard/mouse.
• Occasionally required to push, pull, bend, lift and move up to 25 lbs.
• Domestic travel required.
• Up to 50%.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Employee Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Up to 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave at 100% of pay
- Up to 2 Weeks Paid Caregiver Leave at 100% of pay
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Keep up on all the latest opportunities at ALDI.Sign Up